Faux Mercury Glass Tutorial

I love mercury glass.  I love that old, vintage, worn out shine.  I don't love the mercury, I mean who wants to be mad as a hatter?  Not me!

I fell in love with these oversized hurricane lanterns from Mythology--but it's $140 for ONE.  ummmm...not in my budget.  And even if it was, why would I pay $140 for something that will probably be broken by a soccer ball flying through the house??


So I found my own glass hurricane lanterns at Goodwill for $2.99 each.  the are perfect!!  Big and oversized, just begging to be mercurized!  I hopped over to Hobby Lobby and picked up a can of Krylon Looking Glass Paint.  Now I'm set!

Check out the video tutorial and you'll be turning every piece of clear glass you own into Fauz Mercury Glass!



3 comments:

  1. That was wonderful! You make everything seem so clear and easy, I really want to have a go! Thank you for sharing your expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you ever done this on a sold (not clear) surface. I want to try it on a ceramic lamp base and wondering since its burgundy, perhaps I should give it a black coat first

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I don't know if it would give the same effect but it's worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete